Saturday, April 4, 2009

Media

The other day I had the TV on while I was sitting in room. I normally have the TV on just as background noise, but I rarely watch it. I was sitting there, reading for another class when it caught my attention and I began to watch it. It was a movie that was made I would say in the early 90s and it just about killed me to see what was happening. This black guy was running through some town because he was late for something and just happened to run into a white man standing in the middle of the sidewalk. The white man freaked out and claimed the black man was trying to take his things. The white man was a rich business man and had called the cops. While the black man was in the back seat of the cop car, the white man and the cop were talking. One of them, I'm not sure who, said something along the lines of "He's black, he learned to steal before he could walk." My jaw about hit the floor when I heard this. I could not believe that this was on public TV around supper time. How many families in America watch TV during dinner? I know mine always did. I realize that this was a movie and wasn't intended to hurt anyone, but this is why we get the stereotypes that we do. I know it makes for a "good movie" but was it necessary to say these things? I think that if our media didn't have the things in it that it does, we would be closer to being "equal" than we are.

7 comments:

  1. I know what you're getting at, but I think that this example is kind of a good thing, It's showing how stupid racist people are. I think there are shows that show black people doing actual stereotypical things and makes it seem like all of them do it. Like an example would be if it showed the black guy actually trying to rob him and then saying that could make people have negative thoughts and feelings. As it is though, I think they're actually trying to make fun of racists by showing people how jumping to conclusions based on a persons race is just dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that the media is part of the problem, the media filter is so influential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The media does play a role in providing stereotypes to the world. But I think that some forms of media use the stereotypes in a joking way that makes fun of them and showes how dumb they really are. Maybe the way to get rid of them is through the use of humor and showing how dumb they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was this movie by chance called Trading Places with Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy?

    If it was, this movie was made in '83 to give a frame of reference. It's about two very wealthy stock dudes that make a bet that a person from the street (Eddie Murphy) could do the same job as a person from a "good environment" (Dan Aykroyd) At the start, Aykroyd experiences the deepest level of fear when Murphy bumps into him on the street. Out of fear, (because everyone fears what they don't know and in this case it is a black man) Aykroyd thinks he is being robbed by a black guy that just bumps into him on the street. The two men become friends as they come to an understanding that they are on the same team and need to work together to achieve justice in their situation.

    If this is the movie that was addressed, I think it is a good example that we need to have a good understanding of things before oppinions are made. I mean... is that not the problem we face with racism today? People making assumptions before they have a good understanding.... Just like the old lady and the roomate situation?

    If this is not the movie that was addressed, sorry... but it is still something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen this movie, but like someone said above the incident was probably just to show how dumb some people can be. Kind of like some of the depictions of racism on Bamboozled, they may be offensive but they were there for a reason to break some of the stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the fact that these should not be on TV during dinner or anytime really. I mean really, we say we live in a free country and that everyone has equal rights but then there are movies and shows on our TV that promote racial stereotypes? If we really do want equality and equal rights then we should not be putting things like that on TV. It can only help the stereotypes not bring them down. I also think that it is very much influenced by extremely large companies who want cheap labor and they will do almost anything to make people think about different races as though they are lower than the rest. If everyone thinks this way, then there will be a ton of cheap labor and prices on things would probable drop, but does that make it right? Should we justify putting different races down simply because we need cheap labor?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it shouldn't be on, but if someone doesn't like how a movie or tv show portrays someone/thing then i say turn to another channel or just shut the tv off.

    ReplyDelete