Monday, February 16, 2009

Reparations

I have been asked the question of whether or not I believe the United States should give African Americans reparations for their enslavement a couple centuries ago, and for the laws that kept their race segregated and initially inferior for the color of their skin. I have been asked this many times, and I feel that it is hard to answer this question with a correct answer. So I will attempt to give a profound opinion other than yes or no.
With the knowledge I have accumulated over my lifespan of 20 years, I do not today believe we should give reparations to all Black people living in the United States today because I do not think money and or tangible things are the type of currency that should be used in order to aid past and present racism and pay back for the cruelty our ancestors bestowed upon Black people. Inevitably in our world, these reparations will get old, and racism I believe will still prevail. What I have seen today are programs out there to help minorites of all different colors to better themselves, no matter the hinderance of their past. Welfare is one system, however the problem with welfare is that it rewards people for not working. What I think is intersting is looking back to the 1600's, people living in West Africa had the same values, education, family dynamics as we have today, however slavery in America has today created this idea of how a Black person should be, act, wear their clothing, speak. So how has throwing money at a problem ( like the US has done for everything-for example reparations for Native Americans) made a difference or created equality in human beings living in the US? I believe the problem is innate, and for African Americans to finally be seen as just human beings, and not people who had ancestors long ago that were slaves of white people, it is going to take a change of family values in their homes, and the ability to see that they are human beings, and have every right and ability to suceed in this country and the world as any other race or person. That is why I do not believe we should give reparations any longer, because it is just throwing money at a problem that will never be fixed unless the people who wish to better themselves stand up and say that they will no longer go down the same path expecting different results.

4 comments:

  1. Most people would like to see reparation given to black community. It would give some sort of relief to them knowing that what their ancestors didn't suffer for nothing. However, I will never be for reparation. Here's why: My ancestors were never slave owners. Even if my ancestors were slave owners, I shouldn't have to pay for what they have done. The money to pay for it will come out of the pockets of every American of all races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe there be reparation given out to the black community. In general, I think reparations to anyone is wrong. I dont think that i should have to pay someone my hard earned money for something my ancestors may or may not have even been a part of. I dont know if my ancestors were slave owners and if they were, that has nothing to do with me so why should i have to pay for their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that reparations should be given to the black community, let alone anybody because it's not going to make anything better, and then there would also be the issue of where do we draw the line? If we give one group reparations, we then would have to give everybody reparations.

    ReplyDelete